Safer Working in Retail, Hospitality and Catering
- Hospitality / Catering / Leisure, Retail
- Location / Campus
- Full Time
- 3 days
This course is delivered over 3 full days or can be delivered in half day workshops across 6 days and is aimed at those working in a retail, hospitality and catering role aspiring to develop into roles of greater responsibility. Training can be accredited: Level 1 Award in Health & Safety. This course is for both employed and unemployed.
Having the confidence and ability to understand what is required by law to ensure employees know how to maintain the safety of customers and employees is pivotal in the retail and hospitality industry.
The Level 1 Award in Health and Safety qualification focuses on the study of the basic principles of health and safety, including hazards and risks within the workplace. The objectives of this qualification are to help you to: understand the importance of health and safety procedures, raise awareness of the potential hazards and risks in the workplace, understand implications of poor health and safety and know key rights and responsibilities relating to health and safety.
Food Safety helps anyone who handles, prepares or serves food in the retail and catering industry to understand their legal responsibilities and know what constitutes best practice in regards to controlling food safety hazards, controlling temperatures, food storage, food preparation, personal hygiene and premises cleaning.
Consumer Law will explore the rights of consumers when purchasing goods in retail and will assess the impact new consumer laws and legislation (consumer contracts regulations and consumer rights bill) have on retailers. Components of the workshop also include understanding how consumer law affects: pre-contract information, placing an order, cancellation rights, refunds, returning goods, delivery and risk of goods in retail.
This workshop is aimed at anyone working in or has an interest in retail, catering or hospitality, restaurants, bars, colleges etc.
What you'll learn / gain skills in
Delegates will learn how to:
- Take personal responsibility for food safety, keeping themselves clean and hygienic
- Apply the principles of Hazard Analysis Critical Control Points (HACCP)
- Take personal responsibility for keeping work areas and food safe.
- Evaluate the need for risk assessments; be aware of the requirements for health & safety in his/her place of work or learning and relevant legislation.
- Put into practice and understand the rights of customers when products or services are faulty or not fit for purpose
- Enforce the consumer protection laws in retail
- Handle and understand the consequence of contravening food safety, consumer law and health and safety legislation and the impact this can have on a business
Applicants need to be working at Level 1 or gain Entry Level 3 at the initial assessment. However, all students will complete a short initial assessment for literacy and numeracy. Applicants must also provide eligibility evidence to meet European Social Funding regulations, including:
- Employment status
- National Insurance number
Delegates who attend can be both employed and unemployed
Minimum of 10 learners for the workshops. Dates will be arranged once minimum numbers are confirmed.
The course can be attended by both the employed and unemployed.